Monday, August 16, 2010

Cracked Exhaust Manifold [again]

For the second time in 5 years I have another cracked exhaust manifold.  The first time the front runner broke clean off, this time it is a crack running down the center of the middle double runner towards the head pipe flange.  Car is getting louder every time I drive it so I have taken it off the road for now.


Parts are ordered and on the way from Don T @ p1800.com, they should be here today.  I will try to get some pictures and update on progress of the R&R of the intake/exhaust manifold gasket as well as the replacement of the cast iron itself.



Update****


Well bad news all around, it seems the cause of the broken manifold is a lean condition which makes everything run very hot.  The cause of the lean running is a cam that has started to wear out.  The cam lobes are eroding away, mileage on the car is 218,000 or so.  I have it from a very good source I will be pulling the engine and rebuilding to fix.  Anything I do now will be money wasted and could lead to worse problems.


The method for determining is a bit detailed but I will put together the steps and post here soon for anyone else who may be in the same position


Not a good day for the Volvo today.


Powered by Qumana


No comments:

Post a Comment