Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fix the oil leak and cleanup

Fix the oil leak and cleanup

A large oil leak from the front of the car had caused me to tear into the front main felt seal of the engine. To do this you have to remove the grill, radiator and hoses, as well as a few other things that get in your way. I also pulled the alternator which needed new wiring and some heat shield over the wire to protect it from the exhaust manifold temperatures. Went to the local Volvo dealer to get the seal, of course they did not have it and had to order. One good thing is that when the seal came in they sent two, he told me he did not want to stock the thing so I could keep them both. It's always nice to have a spare, plus I think it is the same seal in the rear.

The leak was easy to find and fix, the front felt seal was pretty much gone, when I went looking it came out in pieces. Lots of cleanup and repainting of parts like the fan, lower radiator hose pipe, and radiator will make a big difference in appearance.

Here is what we have prior to the radiator being reinstalled.

From the front:



and from below:

No comments:

Post a Comment