Thursday, April 23, 2009

State Inspection--- Passed

I took the 1800 in for NH state inspection on Monday, I decided to find a new station after going to the local dealer last year and getting failed for stupid things like windshield washers not working. So this year I went to Lou's Custom Exhaust because I wanted to talk to someone about the SS exhaust system I installed last year after the Inspection failed due to it. First off I pulled up, parked the car and went inside to talk to someone and ask where they wanted it. A guy comes out and gets in the car and backs up to line up with a bay. As he is cranking the wheel to straighten out the car dies and he looks at me with a "whats with your car" look. he cranks for a bit but nothing, so I have him unlatch the hood and I take a look as he cranks. Everything looks fine then I notice the ground wire for the ignition has been disconnected due to getting tangled up in the steering coupling and getting yanked free. I reconnect and slide the tie wrap that has loosened and slipped down the battery cable back away from the coupling so it can't get caught again. It starts right up and we are back in business. The inspection passes in about 5 minutes, they don't even take the tires off, this is my kind of inspection.

I then ask the exhaust mechanic to look at the drooping SS exhaust I put on. He mentions that if the head pipe is 1 or 2 degrees off it will be 6+" off by the time it gets back to the tail pipe. It's not that bad but he says for $70 he will cut and re-weld the pipe tucking everything back up tight. I have him do the work and the difference is about 2" of clearance at the first muffler where I was hitting before over speed bumps or high driveway entries. $30 for the inspection, which is $10 less than the dealer, remember this car has no emissions to deal with. So for $100 I am out of there in less than an hour all fixed up. I will be going back next year as well, after that in 2011 I will only have to go every 2 years as the car will then be 40 years old and a true antique.

No comments:

Post a Comment